Thursday, October 16, 2008

Girls Camp Theme 2009

So I mentioned in my first official posting that I'd probably blog about girls camp. I am currently the Stake Camp Director and love it. I am hoping to be able to attend camp again next year but I'm in the process of finding a new job and I can't fully commit to camp until I know if my new job will allow me to be off for camp in addition to family time off (camp is NEVER a vacation - it's A LOT of work - but wonderful!). I don't know what it would be like to have a summer without girls camp in one form or another. I'm really hoping that I'll be able to go and that I'll have a job that makes it possible for me to continue to serve.

Because I want a job that will keep me busy and that I can succeed at, I want to start planning the camp theme as much as possible right now so that I won't be stressed out next summer trying to fit it all in. Especially since I'm not as busy while my current job phases out (they are closing down the windows department that I manage due to a lack of business).

I have a really good idea for the theme already (that I'm stoked about), but want to have a few other options to choose from and would like some help from anyone that has a fond memory of a camp theme.

The churchwide mutual theme for 2009 is from 1 Timothy 4:12 ("Be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity"). While I don't have to plan my camp theme around the mutual theme, it really works out good if I can.

I know I'm crazy to be thinking about this before Christmas even comes, but I like to announce the theme to the wards by January and need time to work it all out in my tiny little mind before then.

I look forward to hearing about some of your memories about camp themes that have been successful for you as a youth and/or as a leader. Please share your comments with me so that I can have other options that have been successful. Why re-invent the wheel - if it works, don't break it! Right?

2 comments:

Mardi said...

Stolen from others on a Google search:
"celestial cruises" with each cabin being a "ship".

“When in Rome”. How about chariot races Have the girls create chariots using recycled materials.

Celestial Cruises is my fav... My cabin would be the "Love Boat"

alledirb said...

I am also planning camp around this years theme. Every year Jenny Phillips puts out a CD with songs and a short program we use one night at camp. (www.jennyphillips.com) This year her CD is called Light Keepers. We are going to combine lighthouses and a cruise. Each of the 5 cabins will have a specific lighthouse from 5 different countries. We chose them based on their history and color so we can tie in the values. When they arrive they will get passports and our Youth leaders will direct them to thier cabins. We will have excursions for our hike/ craft/service project etc..where they will get a stamp in their passport. Each of the meals are going to try to be based from one of the countries.