Friday, December 26, 2008

What a difference a day makes!

What a crazy month this has been since I've been layed off. I've been trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up and haven't had any luck or feelings one way or the other. However, I knew I didn't want to do construction or something as unstable as that again.

One day, I decided to stop by UVU to see how many credits I had and what it would take for me to go back to school to become an elementary school teacher. The next day I was enrolled into the Elementary Education program and will be starting in January.

Through a series of miracles I found out that I only had 2 classes (5 credits) left before I would be able to enter the program. UVU waived one of those classes and the other one I will need to take in the Summer. There is also a Praxis test in January that I will be able to take at a later date (March).

I'm so grateful for the wonderful academic advisor who helped pull all of these strings for me to make this possible. Without her help, the soonest I would have been able to get into the program would have been in the fall. But because of her assistance, I'll be able to start and graduate 9 months sooner and be able to complete my education in 2 years and graduate in December 2010.

This is the direction I was originally headed before I left on my mission a million years ago. I had received my Associates Degree before I left and should have been able to come home from my mission and start into the program. Because they didn't have their own program at the time, it would have taken a miracle the first time around for me to be accepted as one of the 30 students a year that made it into the program. It would have also taken me an additional 3-4 years after my mission to complete because they changed so many of the requirements. That's why I changed directions and went to hair school instead. UVU has their own program now and it's an excellent one. I'm excited to be able to go back and finish what I started all those years earlier.

I'm nervous to go back and start up with students that are much younger and smarter than I am. I'm hoping that some of my life skills will help pull me through. However, I will need to study harder and work harder in order to keep up I'm sure.

I am also grateful for the opportunity I've had to do hair and work at Hansen's for the last 15 years. I'm sure I'll use many of those skills in my next adventures.

I know it's going to be hard and I don't know how I'll be able to work and go to school at the same time (because of my class schedule and required field work), but I'm sure that it was meant to be by how easy the process has been so far. Everything will work out one way or the other (I hope).

I'm especially excited to be done in 2 years and be able to have summers off so that I can go camping and spend more time with my family and friends. Since Kristen is also a teacher, it will be nice to be on the same schedule as her. Teaching is a more secure career with great benefits. I also think that the benefits of working with children will be well worth it. I'm excited.

Wish me luck!
Miss Johnson

6 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I can't wait to call and leave messages on your school phone. It might sound something like this. "Hi, Miss Johnson, This is Mrs. Baumgarten. I wish you would answer your phone, you must be busy making copies or doing lesson plans. Well, if you ever get this message, you should call me."

You'll do a great job in school and as a teacher. I am so excited for you and your new adventures. I can't wait for summer vacation already!

Tori said...

Congrats! I cannot believe how easily everything fell together for you. I have played with the idea of going back to school too and I get intimidated and leave it at that so I must say that I envy your ambition. You will do great and then maybe you can come and teach in Fountain Green. We need some new blood at our school. Good luck and much successes.

Mardi said...

Shelly I am so excited for you! You are going to be an amazing teacher, you are a natural.

xoxo

Mardi

The Rust said...

It was good to see you at the funeral. Thank you for coming. Love your blog!

Becca said...

Oh, wow, way 2 go! That is so awesome! I agree there are tons of jobs available to teachers at least here in California. I thought about going back to get my teaching credentials, but decided to put it off until next fall. It just didn't feel right, right now.


You'll do great! I know when Lea finally went back to school, she was a bit nervous, but she did better than ever, because she was older and wiser. She graduated in 2007 with honors. Now she is applying for the Master of Social Work program for fall 2009.

Sorry, we didn't get together for pictures this past holiday. But I am even more disappointed we didn't get to see you. Hopefully, we can plan for the spring and the weather will be warmer for the photo shoot.